Home Cooking Fire Prevention Tips
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. Ranges or cook tops cause 62% of home fires according to the National Fire Protection Association. Learn how to stay safe with these tips.
-Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove top.
- Always unplug counter top alliances when not in use.
- Make sure you have, and test, GFCI receptacles in your kitchen to prevent shock and electrocution.
- Double check that everything is off when you finish cooking.
- Prevent fires by keeping your oven and stove top clean of grease and dust.
- Never leave the kitchen while cooking.
- Never cook while sleepy, drinking alcohol, or taking medication that makes you drowsy.
- Never disable a smoke alarm while cooking.
- Never use a cooking stove to heat your home.